Why Does Hair Color turn Grey or White?
The roots of our hair strands are surrounded by a tube of hair tissue or “follicle” which contains pigment cells. These pigment cells are responsible for producing a chemical called “melanin” to color our hair, whatever we get genetically from our parents, black, brown, blonde, etc. The pigment cells gradually begin to die, as we get older and as a result, melanin production slows down or even stops producing melanin, hence the natural color of hair turns grey slowly and gradually.
What Causes of Premature Greying Hair?
Grey hair can be caused by many factors. Consult the Best Hair Specialist in Coimbatore to determine the cause of your greying hair and receive immediate treatment. Here are common causes of premature greying hair:
- Genetics and hereditary are the number one cause of premature greying hair
- Lack of vitamins and minerals like vitamin B-complex, iodine, copper, and iron
- Medical conditions, for instance, thyroid, chronic cold, constipation, etc
- Faulty diet
- Hormonal imbalance
- Stress or mental worries
- Excessive use of electric dryers or iron
- Chemical-based shampoos, hair colorings, and hair dye
- Deficiency of folic acid
- Nutritional deficiency
- Dirty scalp
How to Cure Premature Greying Hair at Home?
It has always been a sensible idea to turn to nature for curing any disorder. These homemade remedies not only are cheap and effective but also protect us from harmful chemical side effects.
Here are some useful natural home remedies to get rid of grey hair.
Apple Cider Vinegar
- Mix apple cider vinegar and water in equal proportion
- Rinse your hair with the solution
- Cover hair with a towel and let it sit in for at least 30 – 60 minutes
- Rewash your hair
- Use this method once a week for a few months
- Don’t use apple cider vinegar if you already color your hair, because ACV is highly acidic and it could intervene with the chemicals of the hair color
Coconut Oil and Lemon
- Fresh lemon juice (3 tablespoons)
- Coconut oil (quantity as much you required to coat your hair)
- Mix both ingredients
- Massage onto your scalp gently
- Comb to the entire length of your hair
- Leave it for about an hour
- Now wash your hair with some natural shampoo
- Rosemary ½ cup.
- Sage ½ cup.
- Boil in water for at least 30 minutes.
- Allow 2 – 3 hours to cool it down.
- Apply on your hair and scalp.
- Let it dry for an hour and then wash out.
- Repeat this grey hair treatment every week.
How to Prevent Grey Hair Naturally?
Amla and fenugreek not only help to prevent grey hair. It also helps to grow hair faster.
- Take amla or Indian gooseberries, keep in a shady place to dry
- Cut gooseberry/amla into pieces and grind
- Now mix 2 tablespoons of gooseberry/amla powder, 1 tablespoon of fenugreek powder, and 1 cup of coconut oil in a pan
- Put the pan on the stove on a medium flame
- When its color turns to brown, put it off the stove
- For some time, let the mixture cool
- Use it before coconut oil turns to solid-state
- Strain and pour it in a bottle or jar (preferably glass)
- Massage daily on your scalp before going to bed and wash off in the morning
- Take a handful of curry leaves
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- Boil them until they become red
- Strain and apply onto scalp
- Allow 30 – 45 minutes before washing off your hair
- You may follow this magical treatment once or twice a week
Seed and Olive Oil
Black seed oil and olive oil are being used to treat grey hair for thousands of years. Mixtures of both oils help grow new hair follicles and make them shiny.
- Mix black seed and olive oil in equal proportion
- Apply and massage gently with your fingertips
- Wait for about an hour to let it sit and then wash it with lukewarm water
- Repeat this natural remedy on a daily basis